At St. John’s CE Primary School, we take the emotional health and well-being of our pupils and staff very seriously. Our ethos is a caring one, which develops respect, self- esteem and gives a voice for all. Our school is committed to providing a caring and supportive environment for all staff and we recognise the importance of staff welfare. We promote a supportive and inclusive ethos, which values parental/carer involvement and contribution. This policy outlines the ways in which we, as a school care for and nurture the emotional well-being of our pupils and staff.
We aim to be a school, which:
• Creates an enthusiastic and engaged learning community who will achieve their full potential
• Develops the whole child
• Aspires to be at the heart of our community
We aim to be a school where:
• Teaching and Learning is personalised, creative, challenging and fun
• A sense of mutual respect, care and responsibility is shown for everyone in school
• Everyone is school feels safe, supported, valued and happy
• All staff are supported through appraisal and performance management procedures, individual pastoral support, care and advice.
The emotional health and well-being of everyone in the care of St. John’s CE Primary School is fundamental to our vision and our daily running. We believe it promotes school improvement and success in a multitude of ways:
• Pupils are more engaged with their learning
• Improved standards in all subjects
• More effective teaching and learning
• Parents and carers more involved in school life and learning
• Pupils with high self-esteem and confidence
• Improved behaviour and attendance
• Fewer disengaged pupils
• Lower rates of persistent absence
• Positive and effective relationships between staff and with pupils
• Positive impact on recruitment We believe that positive emotional health and well-being creates happier, motivated staff and pupils who strive to get the most out of life
Our policies and practices are founded in our school ethos and through the development and sustenance of a happy, healthy school, where all learning can flourish. When a school promotes positive emotional health and well-being pupils can better understand and express their feelings. This builds their confidence and emotional resilience and therefore their capacity to learn.